With newspapers continuing to make cuts to their comics pages, we’re really fortunate to see the Los Angeles Times continue to feature Mimi Pond by publishing her ongoing series of op-ed comics about life in LA. For Halloween, the LA Times’ Opinion L.A. blog ran “Hollywood Forever,” a comic about the odd cemetery of the same name in east LA.
Mimi Pond is a local (since 1990 – basically a native!) cartoonist who has had her work published in National Lampoon, The New York Times, The Village Voice, The Boston Globe and others. In 1989, her comics friend Matt Groening asked her to write an episode of his new TV series The Simpsons. That episode, “Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire,” ended up being the first episode aired and was later nominated for two Emmy Awards. She also wrote an episode for the fourth season of Pee-Wee’s Playhouse and the final season of the sitcom Designing Women. But her heart has remained with comics, contributing to Seventeen Magazine, Adweek, among other publications. She’s also had several collections of her work released with a new original graphic novel currently in the works.
The LA Times has been lucky to have her. Unfortunately it’s tough to find a complete directory of all of her comics on LATimes.com (their search engine is awful). So, here’s my swing at it. Please email with any info on ones I’ve missed or corrections. Most recent is at the top. I’ll try to add to the list as new ones are published and/or posted by The Times.
- Re-En Acting Out in L.A. – November 27, 2011
- Hollywood Forever – October 31, 2011
- The Richard Simmons Vortez – September 16, 2011
- 53 Hours! – July 5, 2011
- Acts of Random Transit – June 17, 2011
- Weather or Not! – January 10, 2011
- Odd Jobs – December 5, 2010
- Trouble in Paved Paradise – January 25, 2009
- Tight Wad Rant Fest – December 21, 2008
- I Can See Clearly Now – November 16, 2008
- The Last Record Store – October 12, 2008
- Book Smart – September 7, 2008
- Taking It to the “Street” – July 27, 2008
- Back to D Land – June 15, 2008
- Rinky Dink – June 1, 2008
- Celebrity Adjacent – May 18, 2008
- Continuing Adventures on Craigslist – April 20, 2008
- Sync or Swim – March 23, 2008
- All the Doo Dah Day – February 10, 2008
- Car to Car Bizarre – January 27, 2008
- The Writers Bloc – December 23, 2007
- The Christmas Army – December 10, 2007
- Night of the Living Dead – December 2, 2007
Corey, bless your little heart! I had no idea anyone besides me was keeping score. Some of these links I myself had lost track of. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
You’re very welcome, Mimi! Not sure if I got all of them but thank you for your wonderful work!